What should I do about someone who I believe is pretending to be my wife’s divorce attorney?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do about someone who I believe is pretending to be my wife’s divorce attorney?

My wife abandoned us and left about 2 months ago and have zero communications from her; 3 weeks after she left I got a text message from someone claiming to be her attorney. I asked his name and what firm he was with and he would not say only stating that my attorney should contact him. I said I do not have an attorney and that I am currently representing myself. He got upset over the text messaging saying that he will see me in court and that my wife is seeking marital assets, as well as full custody of the children. I am concerned that this person is not a real attorney but someone pretending to be one because he would not reveal his/her name or who they work for. What is my best course of action if this person is not a real attorney?

Asked on October 24, 2015 under Family Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) Report this to your state bar association, including providing whatever information you did get and the number you were texted from...they may be able to help determine if this was a lawyer or not.
2) File a police report: someone trying to threaten intimidate you in regards to assets or custody rights is a crime. Again, give them all information you can.
3) Don't worry about it unless and until you receive some provable correspondence from an attorney or court papers...someone blustering and pretending to be a lawyer is just bluster.
4) Keep all your notes and documentation to bring up if/when you divorce your wife: this behavior, if it turns out to be someone affiliated with her, could influence support, asset distribution, and custody.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption