My brother owns a condominium and his ex-girlfriend still lives there after they broke up. He can’t get her to leave. What options are available?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Initially she would have been considered to be a "licensee", that is someone on the premises with permission.  At such time as that permission was revoked she lost her legal right to be there.  However, some states provide for written notice to quit before a licensee can lawfully be removed from the premises.  In New York, for example, a 3 day notice must be given in such cases.  Before you do anything to physically remove her, contact an attorney in your area to find out the legal procedure for doing so.

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Does he have a lease with her? Probably not, correct? She has to leave.  If she doesn't, he can simply call the local police or sheriff and get a peace officer to escort her out and escort her while she packs her belongings or arranges for a mutual friend or neutral party to obtain her things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.