Can I sue a X-ray tech for taking my pelvic X-ray from work and showing it to friends?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a X-ray tech for taking my pelvic X-ray from work and showing it to friends?

She never had any legal right to view my records.

Asked on February 12, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What exactly would you be suing for? Yes, you are correct that she had no right to do this, and should be fired; you could also report her clinic/lab/practice to the medical licensing authorities. But lawsuits are designed to provide compensation for actual physical or economic losses or injuries, not just emotional upset. Unless you can show can injury, loss, damage, etc. resulting from this, you would not be able to get enough compensation to justify, or possibly even cover, the cost of a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption