If my adoptive parents won’t tell me anything about my adoption, is there any legal action that I can take to find out?

I can’t afford an attorney. I checked with the state and local agencies they have no records.

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot afford an attorney to assist you with respect to your quest to find your real parents, contact your local legal aid clinic for assistance. One option to start your search would be for you to get a copy of your birth certificate. If you know the county and state where you were born, you can get a copy of your birth certificate through the office of vital statistics.

You can also try and pull the court file concerning your adoption for information if you know in what county and state the adoption proceeding was filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.