Can my landlord ask me to stag my condo so she can show it since I’m moving out?

I have paid my rent in full until the end of the month. Here is what she is asking me: 1. De-clutter. Every counter top in the kitchen and bathrooms is covered; please move these items into a cabinet or a drawer so that visitors can see the counter tops. Remove step stools and tubs that visitors may stumble over. 2. Personal items. Please remove your bra and personal clothing items from the view of visitors. For the next couple of weeks, put them in a drawer or in the closet. 3. The Dining Room, move the bike.

Asked on October 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Can your landlord "ask" you to do this? Sure--anyone can ask anyone else to do anything not itself illegal.

Can she force you to do this? No. As long as you as you have not violated your lease and lost possession, and until the end of your tenancy, you, not the landlord, have possesion of the space. You are not required to do anything to or in that is not part of the lease agreement between you and the landlord. So unless your lease included some term or condition requiring you to help stage the unit, you don't have to do this.

The proper way for the landlord to get your help in marketing and staging the premises is to offer you something for your trouble--some money back from the last month's rent, help with packing, a nice bottle of wine, dinner out somewhere, etc. She can't force you to do this, but she could try to make it worth your while.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.