If I have a manufactured home that sits on my parents’ land, can I be forced to leave my manufactured home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a manufactured home that sits on my parents’ land, can I be forced to leave my manufactured home?

I have a manufactured home that I have owned for 8 years.It sits on my parents’ land which they also live on. I have helped pay half of all property taxes, etc. Recently, we got into an argument and they told us that they are taking the land back and basically pushing us to move out. A spoken agreement was between us to have a surveyor out and get partial land in my name but it was not done in time due to no surveyor being available Can they push me out?

Asked on July 4, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can: an oral (spoken) agreement about transferring real estate to you is not enforceable, so they do not need to honor it. If the land is theirs, they can eject or remove you from it: you would have to either abandon or move gthe house. Having made payments on their behalf does not give you any ownership interest in their land or other right to live there: unfortunately, in putting a house on land you do not own, you made yourself vulnerble to being removed from the land by the landowners. You have no right to remain on their land once they no longer want you there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption