Is it worth fighting an open container ticket?

I was with 2 of my friends walking this past Friday. 2 out of 3 of us were holding a beer and all three of us got tickets for open container of alcohol in public. Is it worth going to court and fighting this? I was looking at the ticket and they didn’t specify what type of alcohol it was, they left out the location of the incident (looks like they had to put in a location code) and only put the description of the location. They also asked for my 2 friends social security numbers and phone numbers but did not ask for mine which I thought was strange.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A citation for an open container is typically deemed a misdemeanor where the potential punishment if found guilty for the criminal offense is 6 months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

Given such a possibility, it may well be worth your time and effort to consult with a criminal defense attorney as to whether you should contest the open container citation that you recently received. A criminal conviction for such stays on your record and could have a negative future impact for you as to school and employment possibilities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.