Is it legal to schedule someone to work 72 hours straight with unpaid sleep time?

I work for an agency for developmentally disabled clients. I work in a 24 hour home where the schedule is 2 pm to 2 pm. We are not paid from 10 pm to 6 am for sleep time when we

Asked on March 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No it does not appear to be legal. All time that you are, at the employer's request, confined to the workplace is work time and must be paid. It would be different if you were free to leave, even if, as a practical matter, there were times you chose voluntarily to stay over (e.g. it's snowing heavily and you think it's safer or easier to stay over); if you stay of your own choice after your work is done, you don't have to be paid for that. But when the employer tells you to stay or schedules you to stay and you can't leave work, that time is generally considered work time. A salaried employee would not need to be paid for it (since salaried employees can be made to work any amount of time without additional pay), but hourly employees need to be paid for all hours worked, including overtime as appropriate. 
d on what you write, you may have a wage and hour claim; you may wish to speak to your state department of labor about the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.