is it legal for an employer to with hold my earnings after i quit.?

went to work for trucking company making 900 a week salary. got 1st check after 3 weeks for 179 dollars. i told dispatcher that wasnt going to work for me. i quit and told dispatcher i was parking truck at the truck lot where they have an account to park there trucks. he said that was fine. i called him later to find out if they could pay me for both weeks i was owed on the next pay day .he said they wouldnt be paying me because i had abandoned the truck

Asked on April 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, this is not legal: they have to pay you for all work done, up to the moment you quit, regardless of whether you owe them money or not. If they don't pay you in full, you could file a complaint with the state labor department and/or sue them (e.g.  in small claims court) for all the wages which they should have paid you but did not.
Of course, if you abandoned the truck and that cost them money, in parking fees, in transportation costs, in whatever, they are free to sue *you* for that money--and if you sue them, they could interpose that claim as an offset in court vs. what they would owe you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.