is about my insurace making a settlement for my policy max to the person i injured but did not pay.

they settled with the imjuried party for the policy max but still has not pd these people is that bad faith on my insurance company they settled with them a week before trail but they still have not received their money can they come back and amend the lawsuit that i think was drop when they steltled with injured but just did not pay them and its been months

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Insurance Law, Illinois


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your insurance company has an obligation as  a matter of law to pay the policy limit based on the settlment agreement.  The plaintiff is most likely going to go after the insurance company to compel them to honor their settlement agreement in court and has the right to continue to pursue the action if not paid.  However, the plaintiff wants to collect from the insurance company as they have the money.  I think that you need to speak with them to find out what is going on.  You may not have all the facts.  Does the case show that it is still pending or withdrawn?  Again, I would call the lawyers representing the insurance company to find out the status.  If you have further questions i will try to respond.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.