Can my landlord/aparment manager ban my ex-husband from coming over to watch my kids while I’m at work?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord/aparment manager ban my ex-husband from coming over to watch my kids while I’m at work?

About a year ago, my husband’s friends were living here and for reasons I don’t know they received a 24-hour eviction notice. He was helping them move. They left him in their house to continuing packing while they took a load over to the new place. It was after the 24 hours and the landlord came in to change the lock, but my husband was still in the apartment. He was not told at the time that he was banned. Then last night they saw him come to my house to relieve the babysitter and told him that he would have to leave or they would call the cops on him for trespassing (because he was banned).

Asked on March 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, a landlord - or an agent of the landlord which is what I presume the apartment manager is here legally - has the right to prohibit certain people from being on their property.  Remember: this is private property that has been leased for use by someone from the actual owner - the landlord.  So really the only people that have a right to be on the property are the landlord, their agents and the tenant that is one the lease.   I think that you really need to fix this problem with your landlord.  Whatever went wrong is seriously impacting on you and your children and they need to be set right.  You catch more flies with home than with vinegar. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption