How soon can I file my application?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How soon can I file my application?

Hello Question, Im gonna be on my 5th year here in
the US on the month of May, just wondering how
soon can I pass my filling form for citizenship? Can I
do it 3 months before which is next month?

Asked on January 22, 2019 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are eligible to file for US citizenship once you have been a permanent resident (green card holder) for 5 years, not just being in the US for 5 years.  It is the green card status of 5 years that determines naturalization eligibility.  If you have satisfied that, you can file within 3 months of reaching that 5 year mark.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption