Is a principal of a school allowed to keep you after school past your contract time? Also, what are my rights if I have been threatened by my principal?

My contract school times are 740-340. However for our staff meetings she is
keeping us past 430. I leave before that and have gotten reprimanded. She has
threatened me that I will need to get a new job if this continues. I have a
special needs child that I need to provide evening time for therapies and she has
apologized for my ‘burden’ but clearly doesn’t understand.

Asked on April 16, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there were no contract, just usual or common hours, your employer could clearly have you stay late, regardless of how inconvenient it was for you, and fire you if you won't. But you write that there us a contract; a contract binds both parties, and defines their obligations. If the contract sets your hours, you can't be made to stay past that, unless the contract has some provision or exception to the hours allowing her to keep you late under these circumstances. If not, you should be able to leave when the contract says you can; and if she takes action against you in violation of the contract's terms, you could sue for breach of vontract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.