If my ex-husband moved back into our marital home without my consent 2 years after we divorced, was that legal?

Unfortunately for me, we never sold our marital home after the divorce my 2 children I have resided there

Now he took over, stopped child support and changed all the utilities, bills, etc. into his name; he has taken over

completely. There’s been no child support for over 21/2 years since he barged back in.

Asked on December 26, 2018 under Family Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If he is still on the home's title, it is legal unless he is violating a court order (such as one from your divorce) barring him from doing so. In the absence of a court order to the contrary, anyone who is on the title of a house may live there.
If he is not on the title, however, and there was no order, settlement, etc. from your divorce allowing him to live in the home, he has no right to be there and you could remove him--if he won't go voluntarily, you could bring a kind of legal action traditionally called an action "for ejecment" to get a court order (a "writ") that is enforceable by law enfordement to remove him.
If he has not paid amount required to by a divorce, you could bring a legal to hold him in contempt of a court order or to enforce a settlement agreement--you can get the money he should have paid. Speak to a family law attorney about enforcing your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.