If your an exempt salaried employee and your office closes for the week, is yout employer permitted to not pay you for that time?

What if you are required to answer the company cell phone during that time?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your employer does not need to pay you, even if you are exempt salaried employee, for a week the office is closed. Arguably, if you answered so many calls or spent so long on the phone, that on certain given days you could be deemed to have worked that day (or a reasonable part thereof), you should be paid for those days, but it would require alot of work to meet this standard; merely answering some short calls would not entitle you to pay. Look at it this way: maybe you worked a little without being paid; on the other hand, there are probably weeks you were less productive at work, or spent time on personal projects, chores, correspondence, etc. at work, or came in a little late or took slightly long lunchs or left early, and yet you still received your standard pay for less work. It all tends to "wash out" in the end if you are salaried exempt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.