At what point does nuisance behavior become harassment?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

At what point does nuisance behavior become harassment?

My spouse had an affair for a short period of time but has broken off contact with the mistress. We are making amicable arrangements regarding the marriage. The woman involved has become a nuisance. She has created a false email address under my sister-in-law’s name so that she can email my husband’s co-workers asking for personal information (such as our current physical address, etc.). She also created a Facebook account under my name and proceeded to send friend requests to my contacts. I have told her that I do not wish to be contacted by her anymore.

Asked on September 20, 2014 under Personal Injury, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What she has done, in setting up false accounts or emails under other names, may be a crime--identify theft. You should report this to the police. She is free to under her own name ask people for information about your husband and if they choose to reply, there is nothing to be done; but she cannot pretend to be another person. You should also contact facebook and her email provider--what she is doing may also be a violation of their terms of service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption