If you are a minor and admit to having sexual relations with someone over 18 but then admit that it wasn’t true, will the case be dropped?

Boyfriend reported for being overage to have a relationship with me. At first I told the cops something sexual happened because the person who reported it said that it did. They didn’t let me not answer the questions, and I knew that they would think I was lying if my story didn’t match up with the report. But, I met with the cop again and assured him that nothing happened and that I made it up because I felt pressured, will the case be dropped?

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are a minor and you admitted that you had intimate relations with someone over 18 years of age and charges were filed against the adult for what happened, whether or not the charges will be dimissed against the adult because you now have changed your story is an unknown.

Given the seriousness of the charges, most likely the prosecution will pursue the case a bit longer and may even take it to trial where you will have to attend court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.