Could a company be sued for negligence and other reasons if they are at fault leaving a customer without power for a number of days?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Could a company be sued for negligence and other reasons if they are at fault leaving a customer without power for a number of days?

I have a extended warranty for my refrigerator. A techician came to repair
the leaking problem. He said tha the product that I had purchased will
sometimes cause a freeze around the drain resulting water to leak onto the
floor. During his moving back the product to the wall, He accidentally ripped
the chord. He tried to repair it. He told he that he would return in a few
hours with a chord but never returned. I was told not to get help from
anyone outside company or my extended warranty would not be valid. It
would be 12 days without power for my family to endure until they schedule
me for installing a new chord.I am filing a claim on food lost. Any other

Asked on October 26, 2016 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the case is not settled regarding the lost food and floor damage, you can sue the company that employed the refrigerator technician for negligence.  Your lawsuit would name both the company and techician as defendants.
Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable refrigerator technician would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm). 
The company is liable for the negligence of its employee which occurred in the course and scope of employment.
You may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include the loss of the food and floor damage.  If you prevail in the case, you can recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption