If someone who was at your house gets a DUI, can you get into trouble?

Someone left my house without me knowing that they had been drinking. They then got into a minor accident and received a DUI. The person was 17 years old.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming the person who administered the alcohol was an adult, that person could be charged with the crime of contributing to the delinquency of a minor by giving them alcohol while a minor, but this is something that will usually be done after a police investigation, if any investigation will be performed at all in this case. Also, if the person involved in the accident decides to sue the driver, they could possibly include you as a party and sue on the grounds of negligence, but again, this may be hard to prove because they would have to show that your actions caused the accident, which is unlikely here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.