If I’m am 18 and received a minor consumption ticket, what to say or should I expect in court tomorrow?

UPDATED: May 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m am 18 and received a minor consumption ticket, what to say or should I expect in court tomorrow?

I’m not going to lie, I’m quite scared. Here’s my situation. I was drinking with a few friends at a lake house watching the sunset. Since I was not very intoxicated I was asked to help a family friend of mine because he had had been drinking down at the beach and needed to get back to the house (he has an alcohol problem). As I was walking him up, a police officer stopped and asked my age and whether or not I had been drinking, etc. I told the truth and was respectful. He brought me back to the station and wrote me a minor consumption ticket. I left on good terms. What could the future effects of this be for me?

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Typically for a MIP citation, the judge in your case may place you on a probation, ordering you not to come into contact with anymore alcohol until you reach 21. In some jurisdictions, you only have to pay a fine, but because this is a criminal offense in most states, it can carry the penalty of probation or jail. Because this appears to be your first criminal offense, more than likely you will placed on some form of a pre-trial diversion program that will allow you to keep a clean criminal record upon a successful completion of all court conditions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption