If I were to rear-end a car which stopped in the road to parallel park with my bicycle, could I be required to pay for the dents in their bumper?

If so, would I need to replace their bumper or just “pop it out” quick-fix the dents.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Accident Law, Missouri


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you did cause damage to a vehicle, you could be required to handle the cost of the repair.  The law states that when you cause damage to a person's property, you are required to do what is necessary to put the person back in the position they were in prior to the damage.  As such, whatever repair is necessary to repair the damage caused by your bicycle is what you can be held responsible for.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.