If a person is in jail on a parole violation can they be held after their parole end date?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a person is in jail on a parole violation can they be held after their parole end date?

My husband was arrested for a DUI. I bailed him out. The

next week his parole officer had him locked up for parole

violation. When I spoke with his parole officer by phone, I was told the state parole board decided to let my husband finish out his parole in the county jail. His parole end date is 08-13. Can they keep him locked up in jail past that date?

Asked on August 4, 2017 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Potentially yes: violating parole is itself a crime and carries its own penalties, so it's not just that the parolee goes back into jail for the duration of the parole; rather, he can serve time for the parole violation itself (as he could for any crime), which an exceed the remaining time on the parole.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption