If I was to gift my goddaughter a piece of property for $1 will I have to pay IRS tax on this?

Asked on January 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


Joseph Gasparrini

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

At the present time, there is a $5,000,000 exclusion from federal gift taxes.  However, you should obtain the advice of a professional who has expertise in this area of tax law who can advise you based on all of your particular circumstances.  The reason I make this suggestion is because there are a variety of factors to be considered in any question involving gift and/or estate tax law.  For example: the federal gift and estate taxes are "unified" which means that the $5,000,000 exclusion pertains to the total of taxable gifts over the donor's lifetime and his estate upon his death.  These calculations are complicated; they require the application of several provisions of the tax law, and a substantial gift should only be made after careful planning and with the advice of a competent tax advisor.  In addition to the federal gift and estate tax, many states impose their own gift tax; and the exclusions vary from state to state.  The exclusions from state gift tax are generally far smaller than the current exclusion from federal gift tax.  Therefore, you should obtain professional advice on the potential impact of any state gift tax that may apply to the gift that you are considering.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.