If I have a contract with a real estate fiem to sell my house can I withdraw from it?

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would have to see the contract and the termination policy in the agreement.  Generally, these contract are for a term of 3-8 months.  What is the term and how long till its over.  What if any does the terminaton clause say?  I would pick up the phone and talk to the the agent you are working with to se about terminating the contract.  You can say that you are not pleased with their services, which is probably the reason you are trying to terminate the contract.  Firms like this will be reluctanct as they will follow your property to see if you are working with someone else and then claim a part of the commissions on the sale.  You want to avoid this mess. 

B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Not without a very good reason.  Like any contract, there are consequences to breaking it.

However, the typical listing agreement has a specific price, and you are not usually under any obligation to sell for anything less than that, even though houses often are sold under the original listing price, especially in a market like this.

But, if the realtor finds a buyer willing and able to pay the listing price, if you refuse to sell, the realtor may be able to collect the commission from you, that would have been earned on the sale.  You should talk to a real estate attorney in your area, before making a mistake in this, because it can be expensive.  One place you can find a lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.