Problem at work with ‘perfume’ bullies

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Problem at work with ‘perfume’ bullies

I have diabetes, which has led to my immune system going

Asked on January 22, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Try contacting the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) first, before suing the employer (which you could do): the EEOC enforces anti-employment discrimination laws, including the laws barring discrimination or harassment on the basis of disabilities or medical conditions. An employer must make "reasonable accommodations" to employee medical conditions on being provided notice of them and a request for accommodations; barring perfume or cologne at work should be a reasonable accommodation, since it is not too expensive or disruptive to the employer. Since they are refusing to address this issue--which they can; just like employers can set dress and grooming codes, they can ban scents at work, so they have the power to address this--they may be liable for violating the law. See if the EEOC can help you first--their help is free. If they can't help, then you could file a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption