If I am involved in an accident involving construction work due to no police/road work crew assistance, can I have a lawsuit filed against the city?

I was involved in an accident with another driver (no injuries to either of us). Construction was being done to a highway (2 lanes going N, 2 lanes going S, and an intersection dividing them). The N. Bound lanes were closed due and the N. Bound traffic was detoured to 1 of the S Bound lanes. I was attempting to cross both lanes (pulling out of Private Property), and pull into the intersection. Work had been done prior in the same location but had officers directing traffic. There were no officers present this time, and when one arrived on scene he stated no officers knew about the closed lanes.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Accident Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you have a factual basis for filing a personal injury accident against a governmental entity is best addressed after you consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who has filed actions against governmental entites.

You need to be aware that before you can even file a lawsuit against a governmental entity you need to submit a claim under your state's tort claims act most likely. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.