What are my rights regarding workplace retaliation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding workplace retaliation?

My supervisor cut my work days down to 4 days a month, while I’ve been working a whole year. Now all of a sudden after I wrote a complaint about her cussing me out which is grounds for termination, she cut my hours down to 4 days a month. Is there any way I can fight this?

Asked on December 2, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment contract (including a union or collective bargaining agreement), there is most likely nothing you can do. Without a written employment contract, you are an employee at will: an employee at will may have his/her hours or days cut, be demoted, be suspended, or even be terminated by his/her supervisors at any time, for any reason--including complaining to or about a manager/supervisor. This sort of retaliation is, unfortunately, completely legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption