Can my roommate turn of the electricity to force me out?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my roommate turn of the electricity to force me out?

My roommate and I had a verbal disagreement. He is leaving the country for 1 month. Can he turn off the utilities which are in his name?

Asked on September 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the utilities are in your roommate's name, he can certainly turn them off so you are better off talking to the utility company and seeing if he is in arrears or try to find out from your landlord. If the landlord has you both on the lease, then the landlord has to ensure you have light, heat and water. More likely than not, your landlord will have to handle this so make sure you discuss the matter with your landlord but don't say anything until you know whether or not your roommate will actually go through with it. Make sure you have your ducks in a row on this one. Simply shutting off service is pretty unlikely unless the landlord is informed ahead of time to ensure the account is transferred to him or her so that he or she won't have to pay opening fees again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption