I have a question about a car accident in Los Angeles, California. If a juvenile driver drives your car andis not on your car insurance, is he or she liable to pay for the damage?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Accident Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am not an attorney practicing in Los Angeles, California, but I can say that most states' laws would make the juvenile liable, but that would not take you as the owner off the hook, unless the juvenile took the car without your knowledge or permission.  And if the juvenile was someone you knew, and you knew she either didn't have a license or had had accidents before, you might still be found negligent for leaving the keys where she could get at them in some situations.

As you can see, there are a lot of possible variations to this.  You need to have an auto accident lawyer, preferably from Los Angeles, CA, go through all of the details, for a reliable answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.