What is the law involving a collection agency suing someone who is active military?

I don’t plan on running from this but I’m active duty military and I will be leaving the state in just a few short days. I was wondering what the law is in regards to me moving out of state and an agency is filing a lawsuit here and has not yet served me with papers? Is the lawsuit void or will it be void after so many days? I already called trying to make some sort of payment which they refused because I failed to make my previous payment arrangement (which is true). I was also gone the last 3 months for school in the military when they showed up at my parents house with papers.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under federal law, the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act, if a United States enlisted service person is deployed out of the United States and its territories, any lawsuit against this enlisted person is automatically stayed and halted. As such, the plaintiff is precluded from going forward with the lawsuit until the service person returns to the United States.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.