What are my rights if I was involved in an auto accident early last month and as of today, the 28th, I still do not have my vehicle nor an expected completion date for the repairs?

I was not at fault and was rear-ended. The other driver never even tapped his breaks and slammed into me as I was stopped at a red light. I have have to fight with his insurance every step of the way. Now I’m being told that a part which is coming from the vehicle manufacturer is on back order. My truck is only a year old and had less that 15,000 miles on the vehicle. Isn’t the manufacturer required to make replacement parts for some time after? Is there some type of legal action that I can take to speed up this process and get my vehicle back?

Asked on July 28, 2015 under Accident Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is absolutely no requirement that a manufacturer make, stockpile, etc. parts for any length of time...they can make a car and immediately stop supporting it. So there is no legal action you can take against the manfacturer or otherwise to speed up the repairs, unfortunately. You may be able to take some practical action, by doing online searches to see if you can get a used in good repair part from some other source.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.