If I was in an accident on my motorcycle, do they have to make sure that I have a rental motorcycle while mine is being repaired?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in an accident on my motorcycle, do they have to make sure that I have a rental motorcycle while mine is being repaired?

The car the hit me has accepted liability.

Asked on July 27, 2015 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have relevant insurance which includes rental insurance, your rental should be paid for by your insurer, at least up to policy limits.

The other party (the at-fault driver) would have to pay for rentals for a reasonable time IF you sue him or her and win, and the court decides (as it very well may) that part of your "damages" was the cost to rent and orders the other driver to pay. However, until and unless you sue and win, anything they offer is voluntary--they do not need to offer to pay all your costs; and you, in turn, could refuse their offer and opt instead to sue for all the money to which you believe you are entitled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption