If I was involved in a MVA but had no insurance, am I able to receive compensation for damages, towing, etc.?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was involved in a MVA but had no insurance, am I able to receive compensation for damages, towing, etc.?

It was not my fault as I was completely stopped at a red light when the truck behind me was rear ended and in turn, it rear-ended me. There was significant damages and my car was towed.

Asked on July 28, 2015 under Accident Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can receive compensation IF you sue the at fault driver and prove in court that he was at-fault in causing the accident (as he appears to be, from  what you write); in that case, you could then get a judgment in your favor. With that judgment, you can get compensation if the at-fault driver himself has insurance or at least has sufficient income and assets to pay the judgment (though if he does not have insurance and does not pay voluntarily, you'd have to go through collections efforts to get the money, which can be time consumming and costly). In this case, the at-fault driver is not the truck driver who was rear-ended into you, but the driver who rear-ended him. Suing in small claims court as your own attorney ("pro se") to minimize legal fees may be a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption