What are my rights if I was involved in an auto accident with no injuries?

Both vehicles were drivable and we pulled into a parking lot to exchange information. neither one of us called the police but they showed up anyway. The accident was my fault damaging both vehicles. I was on the phone with my insurance company to report the accident when the officer told me to get off my phone and he wrote me a ticket. Are the police able to do that since there were no injuries and only personal property damage?

Asked on April 4, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you cause an accident by violating the law (such as speeding or failing to yield right of way) the police can ticket you for the legal violation.  It does not have to result in personal injury.  In fact, it does not have to even cause an accident.  If a police officer observes you committing a traffic violation, he can ticket you.  If he determines you committed a violation because it resulted in an accident, he can ticket you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.