Can a debt collector suspend my driver’s license?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a debt collector suspend my driver’s license?

Recently, I was in a car accident which was my fault. At the time, my insurance

had lapsed therefore my insurance company refuses to fund the claim. I am a

full-time student and I’m unemployed, and I too cannot pay the claim. The other

party’s insurer turned the claim over to a debt collector without calling me to ask for payment. The debt collector is not a part of the BBB, which makes me a little leery and is now threatening to suspend my license. Can they really suspend my license?

Asked on September 26, 2016 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The debt collector cannot suspend your license.
If the DMV learns that you were uninsured, the DMV can suspend your license until you provide proof of insurance at which time your license will be reinstated.  The DMV can also cancel your current vehicle registration for driving without insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption