What to do if I was hospitalized for exposure to an unknown chemical that was accidently put into a wash tank at my workplace?

I had become very faint and dizzy; my blood pressure got very high. I was released about 6 hours later and felt OK. I was exposed when I was told to drain the tanks. I see the worker’s comp doctor today and expect to be OK’d to return to work ASAP. I am not sure if I should or can take any legal action for this.

Asked on February 1, 2013 under Personal Injury, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can make a worker's compensation claim for the damages that you suffered in the work place that you have written about. As to filing a lawsuit against your employer you cannot if he or she has a worker's compensation policy in effect.

You need to make a decision as to whether you feel you can return to work regardless of any medical clearance to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.