What to do if I rented a car and another driver crashed i into a parked car but they have no insurance?

I am paying the rental company back for the damage on a credit card but I wish to collect from the driver who caused the crash. The amount is $14,200. I need someone to help me collect from the driver who caused the crash.

Asked on March 19, 2016 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have the right to sue the other driver if he or she was at fault, as your question implies. For $14,200, you should probably retain an attorney to help you, and you should sue in what is called "Special Civil Part" in NJ. That is an intermediate level court, midway between small claims and regular court ("Law Division"), which is faster and less expensive than a suit in regular  court, but not so fast or cheap as small claims. Any reasonable NJ litigator or trial attorney can help you with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.