If you have been accused of sexual harrassement, what are your rights?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you have been accused of sexual harrassement, what are your rights?

I was accused of harrassing a female employee. I was shocked because I never have and never will sexually harrass anyone. The person went to HR and complained that I had touched her 2 months prior. I need to know what my rights are? How do I sue her for deflamation of character. I need to know how to protect myself from these false accussations. Also, how do I get the company to complete its investigation and give me the results?

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You effectively have no rights to force them to complete the investigation and give you the results--the laws in regard to alleged sexual harassment are overwhelmingly structured to protect the purported victim.

If someone is defaming you, you could bring a legal action seeking compensation and/or a court order (injunction) barring them from continuing to do so. Defamation is the knowing or reckless making of untrue statements of fact (so opinions or true factual statements, no matter how harmful, are not defamation) made "publically" (which includes to any third parties; e.g. coworkers, supervisors) which damages a person's  reputation and/or makes others less likely to work with him. If you believe you are being defamed, you should discuss the matter with an employment or personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption