What can I do if I’m being sued for property damage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m being sued for property damage?

About 2 years ago, I was exiting the highway and a car who had a stop sign failed to stop and hit me on the side. The cops were called but somehow no police report was filed. I had insurance but it wasn’t to my name so it did not

covered anything. I got a lawyer but a year later said he was going to dismiss my case because after lawyer fees I wasn’t going to get anything. I am being sued now for property damage and I can’t seem to find a lawyer to represent me.

Asked on March 18, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you need to do is enter a general answer.  It doesn't have to be anything complicated... just  basic document that says 'I hereby enter my general denial and desire to be notified of any hearing.'  This will keep the person who is suing you from obtaining a default judgment against you.  There are several basic online forms available to use for entering a general answer or general denial.
From there, you do need to find an attorney.   If you are limiting your searches to the basic ad's, then you may be limiting yourself to ambulance chases... which may explain why your results have been limited.  The Texas Bar Association is a good resource for finding attorneys that practice in certain areas.  They have a regular referral service. You just need to go to their website and look at the section for consumers.  You should also call your local bar association.  Many will offer similar services.  Some also offer free legal clinics where you can actually meet with attorneys and potentially get one to represent you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption