What are my rights if I am a tenant and slipped and injured myself at my apartment complex?

The building owner/my landlord, lives out of state. Last month, I fell on an icy patch outside of my building’s front door. The icy spot was caused by melting snow dripping off the roof, puddling on the ground, then freezing when the temperature fell. This has been an on-going problem all winter long. It just happened to be that on this particular date, I fell and broke my ankle.Can I ask my landlord to file a claim on the building’s insurance for my medical bills and lost wages?

Asked on March 24, 2014 under Personal Injury, Wisconsin


Christopher Earley / Law Office of Christopher Earley

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may bring a claim.  Keep in mind these cases can be challenging in Massachusetts, no matter how strong your case is.  


Chris Earley

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.