Divorce- alimony -georgia

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce- alimony -georgia

My husband was the sole provider of our household. I was a stay-at-home mom. I’m in school and have medical issues. When we got married he told me to quite my job and go to school and now this. He cheated and took me through a lot of emotional abuse. He came home one day said that he wanted a divorce and left. He then blocked mw from contacting him. He also took the car we shared. We do not have children together but he’s been around since my youngest son was 1 and he’s the only dad my son knows.

Asked on July 30, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Speak with a family or divorce law attorney: you have rights that you can protect in a divorce (whether you or he file it):
1) If you left work at your husband's insistence and he supported the family, you should be entitled to spousal support ("alimony"), at least for several years. The amount depends on how much he earned and the lifestyle the two of you enjoyed: basically, the more he earned and the more expensive your lifestyle, the more he'll have to pay.
2) You can potentially get "interim" support during the divorce, to make sure that you have enough to live on while the case moves forward.
3) It is possible that a court will order him to pay for your tuition or health insurance.
4) You will get a share of all marital assets--property, vehicles, other belongings/possessions, and money--acquired during marriage.
So you have rights and will be entitled to assets and money; let a family law attorney help you protect your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption