What are my options if I purchased a home about 3 weeks ago and have had issues with it ever since?

The gas dryer included in the sale does not shut off. Also, the water disclosure for the basement stated that it was a small leak but I have had to run a dehumidifier from day one to keep the house from smelling like mold/mildew. The final straw was that the blower on the central air conditioning broke down and it will take a few days to get the part. I have been in this house less than 30 days, what are my rights?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Most of your rights and remedies will depend on the contract and any documents that were signed.  If you accepted the house "as is", you will have limited options.  If the seller gave you express representations regarding the house, then you may have a claim for a repair of those damages.  You may also have a claim against any company or individual that performed the home inspection and misrepresented the condition of the home to induce you into buying the home.

Take all of your documents to a real estate attorney and let the review what was represented compared to what you ended up with.  From there, you can make the decision on whether to file a claim associated with your contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.