Can we press charges to stop harrassment by a co-owner regarding our rental?

I’m renting a house through my husband’s grandfather; his grandfather co-owns the property with his brother. We have a lease signed with his grandfather. The brother showed up on our property today saying he needed some equipment that was here. He then came inside, tried to take our original lease, told us he wanted the money to go directly to him or he would kick us out right now, then used abusive language towards my grandmother-in-law, at which point my husband politely asked him to stop. He continued and turned the abusive language towards my husband and I, so my husband told him to leave or we’ll call the cops. He refused to leave for a while.

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about, you have a legal basis to file a petition for an injunction against the brother of the grandfather who leased the unit to you regardless of the fact that the brother is an owner of it.

What the brother co-owner did was improper. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about the direction you wish to proceed on things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.