If I’m almost 18 and I committed a crime, can I be charge as an adult even though the crime was committed before I was 18?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Depending upon the severity of the crime that you have been committed with, the district attorney's office has the discretion to charge you as an adult since you are almost 18 years of age instead of as a minor.

My experience is that the more severe the crime is, for example attempted murder, the closer the accused is to being an adult in age, the more likely he or she will be charged as an adult for the crime instead of as a minor.

I recommend that given the circumstances that you are in, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.