What to do if a siding business was to do some work on our house and put on a specific color material but the product is not the same color?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a siding business was to do some work on our house and put on a specific color material but the product is not the same color?

We have a contract. We informed them of that fact the day it was delivered but they haven’t responded to us for 48 hours. They also didn’t show at the appointed day to do the work and at this time no work has been completed. We have since decided to no longer work with the company due to communication issues on their end. Although our contract states that all deposits would be forfeited if we cancel we would want to try to get it back. Do we have a case?

Asked on September 8, 2014 under Business Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should have a case to recover your deposit, because this is not the case of you changing your mind--this is a case of the contractor breaching the contract (not using the agreed-upon color; not showing up on the appointed day or doing any work) and also arguably violating the implied covenant of good faith (the requirement, added by the law to all contracts, that the parties thereto deal with each other in good faith and fairly). When it is the contractor which fails to perform or violates the contract, then the customer can recover the deposit, since they are not allowed to take your money and refuse to perform as agreed. Of course, if they will not voluntarily return this money, you will have to sue them to get it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption