If I’m a non-custodial parent and have been providing for my daughter who lives with her mother, would a court force me to pay child support isince I’m already supporting my child?

She lives in another state.

Asked on January 29, 2013 under Family Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

So long as you can verify the amount of monthly support that you provide your daughter and so long as the mother of the child does not get upset with you concerning child support, most likely a court would not order you to pay child support beyond what you are already paying. The key is to keep a petition for child support from being filed with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.