Handicap parking at apartment complex – told how to park… is that legal?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Handicap parking at apartment complex – told how to park… is that legal?

While attempting to visit a family member at an apartment complex where I do not reside, I tried to parking in handicap parking and use my place card. The property manager literally picked a fight with me regarding how I could and could not park in the marked spot. She stated that I could not back into the spot, even though that was the only way for me to really get out of my car due to limited mobility issues. Plus there was an extra large moving truck which was blocking 2, regular parking spots that was backed in and it blocked the other side of the car not allowing me to fully open my car door and use my cane. What are the rules? is that even legal? Telling handicap people how to park in the marked spot?

Asked on September 18, 2017 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they cannot tell a handicapped person how to park--there simply is no legal basis or authority for doing this. If the property manager tries to restrict you from parking in the spot or put restictions on how you park, you can call the police. 
If the moving truck intruded into your spot, that was illegal and you could have called the police. But if they were not intruding into the handicapped spot but were on the other side of the lines delineating the spot, there is nothing you can do--the handicapped spot itself is protected, but not the space around it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption