I live in Michigan and insure a car here. Can I lend it to my daughter for her to use in Massachusetts where she lives without insuring it and registering in Massachusetts?

Details set forth above

Asked on July 22, 2017 under Insurance Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If the car is not being used in the other state for just a short period of time but rather will be "garaged" there and will be regularly used in that state, it must be registered there. 
2) If your daughter is going to be a regular or frequent driver, you must add her to your insurance as driver (and pay more for having another driver); if you don't, the insurer will be able to deny coverage. You will also need to be inform your insurer that the car will be kept and used in a different state; they will inform you if that will alter your required insurance and/or premiums (it will almost certainly require that your policy at least meet the other state's minimums)--again, if you fail to do this, you give the insurer grounds to deny coverage in many cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.