Is there anyway I wont be responsible for my boyfriends child support if we get married?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anyway I wont be responsible for my boyfriends child support if we get married?

I make much more money than my boyfriend
he is legally seperated but he has 3
child 15 11 and 3 hes going thru divorce
and mentioned he wants us to get married
but Im concerned about how hard i work
to support my son that the court will
come after my money as well for his
child support.Can they?

Asked on July 23, 2018 under Family Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you have NO obligation for child support for children not your own, even if they are the children of your spouse. No one can come after your money for child support for other people's children.
What will happen though is that in determining your boyfriend/future husband's ability to pay, the court will consider the amount of support he directly or indirectly gets from you. Example: say he loses his job or has a career reversal and so asks the court to reduce his support obligations or let him miss some payments and catch up later. If you are paying the rent/mortgage and providing most of the support for the household, the court will conclude that he doesn't have to pay those things and therefore any money he would otherwise spend on them is available for support, and so will be less likely to accommodate him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption