What to do if I have not been able to get in touch with my landlord and they just left a 3 day or quit notice on my door and won’t respond to our oral agreement?

I have not been able to get in touch with my landlord concerning issues with the building I’m currently living in. The finance account manager called and left a voicemail on my phone a while back, stating the company would offer half off first month’s rent to remedy the situation of not having a dead bolt lock on our door, as is required by state renter’s laws. The same woman came to my door with the lease, a month into my already living in the apt, asked me to back date it to the first of the month, then said she was not honoring the monetary agreement. I came home today, to find a 3 day or quit notice on my door, stating I still owed on first months rent (i.e. they were not honoring the oral agreement left on my voicemail). As stated previously, I have tried to contact them to discuss this situation, and they have not responded to the messages I have left. I do not know who my building manager is, as the previous one is no longer employed here. I am not really sure who even to contact at this point.

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

An attorney to help you sort through the details is who you need to contact but I would not do so until they have started eviction proceedings, which they will if you do not pay or leave with in the 3 days.  Do you have a lease in place?  That lease will govern and generally speaking, oral modifiations will not be upheld.  Do you still have the voice mail?  Bring it with you.  It could be of some help in proving reliance but not in getting you out of your obligations.  Now, you may be entitled to some sort of abatement  - reduction - in rent given the state law.  Once you answer the proceeding you ask the court to pay your rent in to court until the matter is resolved.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.